Delicious for a mid-week meal that is easy on the wallet, simple to make and a great alternative to the classic beef mince dishes. The novelty of eating off bamboo skewers also gets a big thumbs up from the children.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp cumin
- Chilli flakes, to taste
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- small bunch of mint, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1/2 squeezed lemon juice
- Place a small frying pan over a medium heat and add a dash of oil. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the cumin seeds and chilli flakes and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the lamb into a mixing bowl, add the onion mixture and chopped herbs along with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands.
- Roll the lamb mixture into sausage shapes and drizzle with oil. Thread each one onto a bamboo skewer. Cover and chill for about 10 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients together to make the dressing. Season to taste then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Place a griddle pan over a medium high heat. When hot, griddle the koftas for 3-4 mins each side.
- Serve the koftas warm with the dressing.